Recipe for 4 Servings
- 2 bunches (300g) wild asparagus cut and trimmed
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cut the spears of wild asparagus and wash thoroughly with water.
- In a nonstick pan pour the olive oil and add the wild asparagus.
- Sautee the asparagus by stirring over low heat for a few minutes and season with salt and
pepper to taste.
- Mix the eggs with a whisk and add them to the pan, so that it is evenly distributed and looks like an omelet.
- Then add the lemon juice.
- Finally add fresh herbs such as oregano, mint and parsley.
- Boil asparagus for just a minute in hot water, before place them in the pan, to remove the
- Wild asparagus, except fried with eggs, is also delicious as pickles.
- In Cyprus asparagus appears after the first rains and runs through spring.
Seasonal Food Commodities
Vegetables / Salad / Herbs:
Wild asparagus, capers, artichoke, dill, parsley, broccoli, beetroot, radishes, cabbage, celery, spinach, Swiss chard, fennel, avocado, cauliflower, lettuce, carrots, pagkaloi (wild greens), mallow, wild mushrooms, lapsanes (wild greens), purslane
Oranges, lemons, tangerines, grapefruit, pomelo, mantores (Cypriot type of tangerine), strawberries, bananas, medlar
Nuts / Pulses:
Raisins, walnuts, almonds, lentils, peas, white beans, louvi (black-eyed beans), fresh and dried broad beans, louvana (or yellow split pea)
Trout, squid, octopus, mullet, whitebait, sea bream
Poultry / Meat:
Lamb, goat, beef, pork
Cypriot cheeses (pafitiko, halloumi, fresh anari in brine, salted anari, unsalted anari, kefalotyri), pickles, lagana, olive pies, desserts: strawberry preserve, almond preserve, bergamot preserve, orange pie in syrup, pies with honey, pissies, samali, pumpkin pies, tsipopita