Recipe for 10 Servings
- 2 red medium tomatoes
- 2 zucchini/courgettes
- 2 green or coloured peppers
- 2 large onions (optional)
- 2 small eggplants/aubergines(optional)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup glutinous rice
- 150g minced pork
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt, dry mint, cinnamon
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ bunch chopped parsley
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium red tomatoes, grated or chopped
- Clean and cut the tops off the peppers and tomatoes to create lids, set the tops aside. Scoop out the pepper seeds and discard. Scoop out the tomato flesh and seeds and reserve. Cut the aubergines and courgettes lengthways and scoop out the seeds and flesh. Add the flesh to the tomato flesh and seeds and chop well.
- Saute the vegetables in a pan except for the tomatoes. In a large pan fry the onion with a little olive oil until soft. Add the chopped vegetable flesh, the tomato purée and the minced pork. Cook for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and a cup of vegetable stock, raise to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the herbs. Place the vegetables in a large baking pan and fill them. Place the lids on the peppers and tomatoes.
- Pour in a little stock and sprinkle with grated tomatoes.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes at 180 oC.
- Serve with sheep’s yogurt and a traditional Cypriot salad.
- For a healthier dish, instead of frying the vegetable you may preheat them in the oven.
• You may choose not to cook the vegetables and filling during the preparation stage but then you will need to cook the stuffed vegetables for longer in the oven without frying them first.
Seasonal Food Commodities
Taro, cucumbers, dill, endive, green amaranth, carrots, zucchini/courgette, squash, onion, Swiss chard, parsley, fennel, lettuce, eggplant/aubergine, okra, beets, potatoes, peppers, chicory, radishes, celery, garlic, green beans, fresh louvi.
Pears, watermelons, apples, peaches, melons, grapes, figs, damsons, plums and pomegranates.
Nuts / Pulses:
Raisins, walnuts, almonds, lentils, white beans, dried louvi (black eyed peas), dried broad beans, chickpeas.
Trout, freshwater bass, squid, octopus, kourkouna (rabbit fish), whitebait, sea bream.
Poultry / Meat:
Chicken, lamb, goat, beef, pork.