Recipe for 10 Servings
- 10 pieces of goat
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 ripe tomatoes, grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 sprig of oregano
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Thoroughly trim the fat off the meat.
- Cut the peeled and washed potatoes.
- Flavour with herbs and add salt in moderation.
- Add the grated tomatoes.
- Stir together in a large bowl.
- Put in a clay pot or pan and put the tomato slices on top
- Pour in the water, brandy and onion.
- Cover the container with a lid and extra foil if you bake it in the traditional clay oven.
- Otherwise, bake in a preheated oven at 200_C.
- You should keep an eye on the food because you may need to add extra water and turn the meat over.
- If you want more flavour add more vegetables such as carrot, celery and ripe tomatoes cut into large pieces before cooking.
Seasonal Food Commodities
Vegetables / Salad / Herbs:
Zucchini/courgette, broad beans, artichokes, avocado, dill, swiss chard, carrots, cauliflower, spring onions, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, parsley, lettuce, broccoli, beetroot, leeks, chicory, asparagus, spinach
Lemons, oranges, pomelo, strawberries, medlar
Nuts / Pulses:
Raisins, walnuts, almonds, lentils, peas, white beans, louvi (black eyed peas), dried broad beans, pink peppercorns
Trout, squid, octopus, mullet, whitebait, sea bream
Poultry / Meat:
Lamb, goat, beef, pork
Flaouna, roast lamb, paskies, broad beans with artichokes in lemon sauce, koulouri baked in a clay oven, cheese pies with halloumi, sweets: sweet pumpkin pies, halvas, lenten sweets, tsoureki