Sushi for Beginners
- When eating sushi 12 pieces per person is more than enough.
- If you are eating sushi as part of a Japanese meal, then four pieces per person is fine.
- Sushi is the ultimate finger food, made by hand and traditionally eaten with hands, not chopsticks.
- If you are in a sushi bar order sushi by the piece, if you are seated at a table order a main meal and sushi.
- Take a piece of sushi and dip just the fish side into the soy sauce - the rice will break up if you try dipping it.
- The most common mistake when eating sushi is to drown it in soy sauce, this will make you look like an amateur.
- If sushi is eaten as part of a main meal it should be served last, you don’t want to fill yourself with sushi before the main meal arrives.
- When ordering sushi don’t forget the pickles and seaweed, a plate of tempura also goes well.
- Temaki is the Japanese sandwich, so eat it like a cold sandwich with your hands.
- Never stand chopsticks in your food or play with them. Stant them on chopstick stant.
- Sake, popular Japanese drink should be drunk warm.
- When eating assorted sushi don’t forget to clean your taste with a small piece of pickled ginger.